Informed consent is a very important legal doctrine for patients to understand. It is the legal right to make choices about your own healthcare without being coerced or misled. When doctors or researchers violate this principle, patients can suffer serious health damage as well as a loss of civil rights.
If you or a member of your family has been hurt by medical workers who failed to honor the right to informed consent, you could have grounds for a legal claim. The Iowa medical malpractice attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help you build your case and present it in a court of law. Call us today at (515) 705-0233.
The Elements of Informed Consent
Informed consent is required before any medical treatment can begin, with the exception of life-threatening emergencies. In those cases, doctors can take whatever reasonable steps are necessary to save patients’ lives, unless that would violate a previously established healthcare directive (such as a “do not resuscitate” order).
In all other cases, you have the right as a patient to the following information:
- Your diagnosis, or options that are being explored if you have not yet been diagnosed
- Your complete medical records
- The intended purpose of a proposed treatment
- The full process of the treatment (how long it could take, what you would need to do, etc.)
- The potential benefits and risks of the treatment
- The potential benefits and risks of not undergoing the treatment
- Alternative treatments that may be available
You also have the right to make your own medical decisions free from coercion, manipulation, or bullying tactics. If your rights as a patient have been violated by negligent medical staff, our Iowa lack of informed consent lawyers will fight for you.
Your Iowa lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. are committed to protecting patients’ rights to control their own lives. To learn about the legal services we offer, contact us at (515) 705-0233.