Proper helmet use by motorcyclists can help prevent injuries and fatalities and can also decrease the cost of medical care in the event of an accident. Although they cannot provide full protection in every situation, helmets are designed to protect a rider’s head during a crash impact and can reduce injuries and fatalities.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to legal compensation for your suffering. Contact the Iowa motorcycle accident lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 705-0233 to discuss your legal options.
Helmet Safety Statistics
According to the 2006 Traffic Safety Facts from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA),
- Head injury is the leading cause of fatality in motorcycle crashes.
- Helmets have a 37 percent rate of effectiveness in preventing death in the event of an accident.
- A rider without a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer from a head injury in an accident than a helmeted rider.
- A helmetless rider is 40 percent more likely to incur a fatal head injury than a helmeted rider.
- Motorcycle riders are 37 times more likely to die in a traffic collision than car occupants.
- Motorcyclists are 8 times more likely to be injured in a traffic accident than car passengers.
Motorcycle riders should exercise proper safety precautions while on the road and should always keep an eye out for negligent drivers. Unfortunately, even when following all safety recommendations, accidents can still occur. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our Iowa Personal Injury attorneys fight hard for justice for accident victims. Contact us today at (515) 705-0233 to schedule a free consultation.