Protecting Your Rights from Insurers
After you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you should explore your right to compensation under Iowa law. However, you need to be aware that your case will likely not be between just you and the liable person or party. No, the insurance company representing the policy you file against will get involved, too, and it will cause some trouble. Insurance companies are businesses that want to make a profit, which means shutting down injury claims like yours as frequently as possible.
If you live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, you can rely on LaMarca Law Group, P.C. for personal injury claim representation. We have spent our careers fighting insurance companies and their stubborn defense attorneys. Get us on your side, so all of our experience becomes yours.
On This Page
We have been helping the people of Cedar Rapids seek compensation after serious accidents for years. In that time, there have been many different types of injury cases brought to our desks, which means we will be familiar with how to manage yours. No matter what happened to you and who is responsible for it, you can trust that we will be able to devise a unique strategy for your case.
Our firm is capable of handling the following personal injury case types and more:
- Car accidents: Auto accidents are one of the most common reasons why people need a personal injury attorney’s help. Let us know if a reckless driver hit you.
- Truck accidents: If you were caught in a wreck with a commercial truck, we can help you seek compensation from the trucker and their insurance provider.
- Premises liability: Accidents that happen on someone else’s property and due to a property defect can call for a premises liability lawsuit.
- Product liability: You can hold a product maker accountable for selling you a dangerous product, such as an unsafe appliance, auto part, or prescription medication.
- Medical malpractice: A doctor’s mistakes can cause a patient to suffer severe injuries, rather than treating or healing them.
- Nursing home abuse: We proudly stand up for elderly loved ones who have been abused or neglected while living in a nursing home or assisted living center.
- Workers’ compensation: Injured workers can struggle to get the medical attention they need due to insurance company interference. We can help manage your workers’ comp case from start to finish.
- Wrongful death: Losing a loved one is devastating. Let us take care of your wrongful death case so you can focus on grieving.
At the end of every personal injury case, what is ultimately important is how much compensation the claimant or plaintiff receives. We know that no amount of financial compensation can undo what has happened to you and your family. But financial security is important, especially after it was taken away due to another party’s negligence. This is why we are devoted to making sure we maximize your recovery amount, which might involve filing against multiple insurance policies if able.
In a personal injury claim, the claimant can usually demand compensation to pay for:
- Medical costs: Past and future medical treatment costs should be paid for entirely by the party that caused your accident. Even years of physical therapy should be covered if that is what is medically necessary for your recovery.
- Lost wages: You can sue for the income you did not earn while you were too injured to work. If your injury will prevent you from seeking gainful employment in the future, then you can also sue for your lowered income earning capacity.
- Permanent disability: The hardships caused by a permanent disability can be emotionally and financially taxing. You can seek additional compensation if you are permanently disabled. For example, if you need to install a wheelchair ramp in your home, then the defendant should pay for it.
- Pain and suffering: Non-economic damages can be pursued in most personal injury cases. Non-economic damage pertains to your emotional pain, mental trauma, and anguish. The worse you were physically injured, the larger your pain and suffering damages will be.
You do not want to get caught up in the legal details of a personal injury claim. You should be resting and focusing on your health and other important matters in your life.
Our attorneys can help you by taking over the entirety of your case if you wish. We have the experience, insight, and knowledge to manage virtually any injury claim brought to our team. From start to finish, we can act on your behalf and make sure your case is built correctly. The insurance company will know that it has to take your case seriously when they see that it was filed by our highly skilled lawyers.
How can our attorneys help? It might be quicker to ask about what we can’t do for you, which is not much!
Learn More About Filing a Claim Today
Our Cedar Rapids personal injury attorneys are ready and waiting to help you with your case. Whether it is highly complex or fairly straightforward, you can depend on us. We want to make this process simple and stress-free for you, starting by offering a no-cost, no-obligation consultation. During this first talk with our team, you can understand more about how to start a claim and what to do next if your claim for compensation is legally valid.
Dial (515) 705-0233 when you want to speak with a law firm that genuinely cares about your future wellbeing.
How much time do I have to file a personal injury claim in Iowa?
Iowa has a strict two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. You need to file a claim – not complete a claim – within two years of the date of the accident or injury. The statute of limitations can rarely be pushed back if you were reasonably unaware of your injury until a later date. For example, if a surgeon’s mistake caused you to suffer health complications that were not diagnosed until 6 months later, then the statute of limitations would likely start on the date of the diagnosis rather than the date of the botched surgery.
Should I accept a settlement right away?
No, you should not accept the first settlement an insurance company offers you. We do not recommend you accept or sign anything from an insurance company without letting a personal injury attorney review it. Initial settlements are almost always small and not enough to cover all damages.
Will I have to go to court?
You are not guaranteed to get stuck in litigation when you file a personal injury claim. Most cases end in a settlement agreement that is negotiated in a conference room, not a court of law. In the best-case scenario, the liable party will offer a fair settlement early, and you will only need to go to court once to have it finalized. In some situations, though, we can go to court for you, and you can stay home and rest.