Sioux City Personal Injury Attorneys
Here to Help After a Serious Accident
After being seriously injured due to someone else’s mistakes, it can be unfortunately easy to feel like you are alone with no one to help you. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we think it is important to remind everyone in Sioux City that this is not the case. When you are feeling down on your luck due to a bad injury, we are here to help you get your feet under you again.
With our representation, you might be able to pursue ample financial compensation to make up for all the damages and losses caused by your injury. It will not be an easy and open process, though. The party that hurt you and the insurance company representing them will not want to pay you a dollar. It is not personal, it is business, but that is not an excuse. Fight back and stand up for yourself with our firm leading the way.
On This Page
- When You Should Call Us
- Calculating the Value of Your Injury Claim
- Statute of Limitations
- Frequently Asked Questions
Speak to our team today by dialing (515) 705-0233 and scheduling a free case evaluation.
When You Should Call Us
Our law firm is comprised of an eclectic team of personal injury attorneys and support staff. Together, we can share our legal knowledge and insight into a variety of different personal injury case types. What this means for our clients is that we are capable of managing essentially any case that comes to our attention, so clients do not need to look far and wide for legal counsel. Trust us to work on your case, no matter its details and nuances, and know that it is in good hands.
Different personal injury cases we often manage at our firm include:
- Car accidents: No one wants to deal with auto insurance companies after a crash. When you team up with LaMarca Law Group, P.C., you won’t have to worry about insurance company tactics and tricks. Our car accident lawyers know the best ways to approach and investigate accident claims to give our clients a fair chance at making the maximum recovery possible.
- Truck accidents: The average truck accident results in catastrophic or life-changing injuries suffered by people in the other vehicle. Massive trucks have so much weight and force behind them that it is almost impossible for there to be a “minor” truck accident. As a result, trucking companies and their insurers fight vigorously to make sure they are not the ones to pay for the resulting damages, which could be significant and exceed six figures.
- Catastrophic injuries: We have intentionally focused the majority of our practice on catastrophic injury cases, such as those that involve traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries, amputations, etc. We know that the stakes are high in a catastrophic injury claim, so we will not slow down for anything.
- Nursing home abuse: As unthinkable as it is, thousands of elders in nursing homes and assisted living centers are harmed through abuse and neglect each year. We are here to amplify your voice and that of your elderly loved ones if they were hurt in a nursing home. Such abuse claims are about getting your family justice and compensation while also helping protect others from suffering the same abuse.
- Premises liability: When an accident happens on someone else’s property and due to a defect on that piece of land, it could call for a premises liability lawsuit. For example, we can help file claims for customers who were injured while shopping or people who got hurt while visiting a neighbor’s house.
- Product liability: Product manufacturers can be held financially liable for the harm that their defective or unsafe products cause. Recent examples of dangerously defective products include Takata airbags, Philips Respironics CPAP machines, Zantac off-the-counter medicine, and more. We have the experience needed to file a claim against major corporations, including Big Pharma companies.
- Wrongful death claims: Losing a loved one is tragic, and it can be completely paralyzing for surviving family members. Give yourself the time you need to grieve without losing your chances of pursuing justice through a wrongful death claim by putting our law firm in charge of it. Throughout the process, we will show you genuine compassion because we truly care about you and your family.
- Workers’ compensation: Injured workers often have nowhere to turn for help after a workplace accident because their employers make things difficult for them. Do not let this happen to you. If you got hurt at work, then come to our firm, and we can assist with your workers’ compensation claim from start to finish. The goal is to get you back on your feet without draining your finances.
Calculating the Value of Your Injury Claim
Every personal injury claim has a “value” that needs to be calculated before it can be filed. The value is the total of all the damages that are owed to you from the liable party based on your losses, both financial and otherwise. We can work carefully to calculate the full value of your case, so we do not leave even a dollar behind.
In some cases, our Sioux City personal injury attorneys can work with third-party experts to better your case. For example, if you were hurt by a defective product, then we can network with product engineers who can closely examine it for faults. Together, we will do all we can to maximize the other party’s liability, which, in turn, can maximize the value of your case.
Four common damages pursued in a personal injury claim include:
- Medical costs: Whether you have thousands of medical bills backed up or hundreds of thousands, you should not be the person who has to pay those costs yourself, not if your accident was caused by someone else. When calculating the value of your claim, we will have to consider medical costs you have already incurred and those that will come years in the future.
- Lost income: Severe injuries might prevent you from returning to work for a while – or possibly ever. Any income that you cannot earn due to your injury can be added to the value of your claim. If your income potential has been reduced, too, then future lost income can also be tabulated.
- Permanent disability: Hardships and complications caused by a permanent disability can also add to the value of your personal injury claim, such as miscellaneous costs related to special care and needs.
- Pain and suffering: Non-economic damage in a personal injury claim relates to intangible yet real losses like physical pain, mental suffering, and emotional trauma, as well as the lessened enjoyment of life overall. The pain and suffering damages we demand in your claim could be even more significant than damages related to lost income and medical bills.
Iowa Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
After suffering an injury in an accident, Iowa law gives you two years to take legal action against the party that hurt you. If the two-year statute of limitations expires and you have not started a claim, then you will not be able to file one later. The statute of limitations usually starts on the date of the accident, but it can also start on the date that the injury becomes reasonably apparent, which could be a different date. For example, if you suffered a heart complication due to taking unsafe medication, then the statute of limitations would reasonably begin on the day that your heart issues became apparent, not when you first took the prescription.
Discuss Your Claim Today
Our Sioux City personal injury lawyers are standing by to help with your claim. We have built our careers on taking care of cases much like yours and showing our clients genuine compassion. With us leading the way, you can feel confident that your claim will have a fair chance to get you the compensation that you need and deserve right now.
Contact us online to discuss your possibilities to seek a recovery.
Personal Injury FAQ
What happens if I am partially responsible for my injury?
Do you think that you might have contributed to your accident? It happens, but there are two things you should know now. Firstly, do not admit liability to the other party. An investigation will determine liability, so do not jump to conclusions that might not be true. Secondly, your case can still be valid even if you are partially liable for the accident. Iowa allows you to still pursue compensation as long as you are not at least 51% liable.
Will my personal injury case go to trial?
Taking a personal injury lawsuit to trial is a lot of work. Neither claimants nor defendants want to go to trial and litigation if it can be avoided. For this reason, most valid personal injury claims end in a settlement without having to rely on courtroom intervention. But it is never guaranteed that a case will end one way or another.
Is it a good thing if the insurance company offers me a settlement?
You might be understandably excited to see a settlement offer come from the defendant’s insurance company. But should you be? More often than not, initial settlement offers are intentionally undervalued to try to get the claimant to accept less money than they deserve. Before you sign a settlement, you should always let a personal injury attorney review it.
Will my personal injury case take a while to get a settlement?
Each personal injury case will resolve in its own time. For a straightforward case that ends in a settlement, it might take 6 to 12 months. But a complicated case will take longer, especially if it has to go to trial. If a lawsuit is seemingly destined for litigation, then a conclusion can take longer than one or two years.
Do I need a lawyer for a personal injury case?
You do not need to hire a personal injury attorney because you have the right to self-represent in most cases. However, it is highly recommended by law firms that represent plaintiffs and defendants alike to hire a lawyer. Without a lawyer’s insight and legal knowledge, even getting a personal injury case started can be a major challenge.
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
Hiring a personal injury attorney from our firm is always affordable because we offer contingency fee agreements. This payment system means that we are not paid attorney fees unless we end your case in a favorable way. Our costs will be equal to a percentage of your total winnings. Furthermore, we might be able to argue for the defendant to pay our fees completely.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.