Des Moines Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Get the Care and Compensation You Need
Bicyclists face real dangers sharing the road with motorists, as even a minor collision between an automobile and a bicycle can prove fatal for the cyclist. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we have an unwavering commitment to protecting the rights of individuals who have been injured through no fault of their own.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident, a Des Moines bicycle accident attorney from our team can help ensure that you obtain the compensation to which you are legally entitled. As your experienced advocate, LaMarca Law Group, P.C. will fully investigate and review your case, then devise a course of action to hold the liable party accountable for all damages you are entitled to recover.
Bicycle Accident Lawsuits
Being involved in a bicycle accident can result in catastrophic injuries, including broken bones, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, and death. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that there were 51,000 bicyclists injured in traffic accidents in 2009, and over 600 were killed.
The risks associated with riding a bicycle in traffic are lost on many motorists, unfortunately. Many bicycle accidents occur as a result of the careless and negligent actions of motorists, and in such instances, these motorists can be held accountable for damages. If you are a bicyclist who has been injured in a traffic accident, it is important to remember that you have rights. A Des Moines bicycle injury lawyer from LaMarca Law Group, P.C. will work diligently to ensure that your rights are protected.
In the event that you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible to obtain financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Though every case is different, and there is no guarantee that you will obtain compensation for your claim, you can rest assured that our legal team will champion your cause.
A Des Moines bicycle accident attorney from LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can fully investigate your accident (at no charge) and, if warranted, he or she will work on your behalf to obtain compensation for damages including:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Loss of wages (including impairment of earning capacity)
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Inability to lead a normal life
If you have been hurt in a bike accident, you should not have to pay for the costs associated with a collision that you did nothing to cause. Turn to an experienced bike accident attorney to get the compensation you are owed and the justice that you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you are hurt in a collision while riding your bicycle, you may find yourself facing unexpected medical expenses, lost wages from time missed from your job, and other costs that you were not prepared for. When this happens, you likely have questions about your rights and the process of seeking compensation for your injuries and damage to your property. Few accidents result in injuries as devastating as those involving a bicycle. It is essential that bicycle riders remain vigilant because, in an accident with a vehicle, the cyclist almost always ends up on the losing side. If you or a loved one has been hit while cycling, it is crucial that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Some of the questions our clients frequently ask are as follows:
What should I do if I have been hit while riding a bicycle?
If you are involved in an accident on your bike, it is essential to take the following steps:
- Call the police and ask the officer to file a police report. If you are unable to secure a police report, go to the nearest police station and submit an accident report within 72 hours of the accident.
- Seek immediate medical treatment for any injuries you suffer in the collision, even injuries that may seem minor at first.
- It is imperative to get the driver’s information, including insurance information, address, phone number, and license plate number.
- Also, make sure you get the name, phone number, and address of every witness.
- Use your health insurance to get any necessary medical attention. Keep copies of your doctor bills.
- Take your bicycle to a bike shop to have it thoroughly inspected. Be sure to document the value of your bike for the insurance adjuster.
- Do not attempt to minimize the damage to either you or your bike.
- Do not give a statement to the vehicle driver’s insurance company without first consulting an attorney.
- Do not rush to any settlement until you know the full extent of your injuries and the damage to your bicycle.
By following the steps above, you can ensure that all of the details are documented accurately if you have to file a personal injury claim to protect yourself, your finances, and your livelihood.
Contact a Des Moines Bicycle Collision Lawyer
We encourage you to promptly seek legal counsel if you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident. An experienced Des Moines bicycle accident lawyer can fully investigate and review your case free of charge, and then advise a course of action. If we believe that you have a viable case, we will commit ourselves to aggressively seeking full restitution for you and your family.
To learn more about filing a personal injury claimand your legal rights, contact us today at (515) 705-0233. A bicycle accident attorney from LaMarca Law Group, P.C. has the experience, determination, and litigation skills you are seeking.
What are common causes of bike accidents?
Commonly reported causes of bike accidents include:
- Not looking: When a car enters the road from a parking lot or driveway and doesn’t see the cyclist on the road
- Failure to yield: All too often, motorists fail to entirely stop at stop signs, run stop lights, or fail to look both ways before entering roadways, and accidents often occur as a result.
- Reckless right turns: Drivers commonly pass motorists and then make right-hand turns, cutting off the cyclist and often causing a severe accident just to avoid driving behind a cyclist and shave off a few seconds from their commute.
- Collisions while passing: When motorists fail to notice cyclists on the road, they may strike them while passing. Often, the cyclist sees the danger first and is often injured while swerving away to avoid being hit by the car and crashing or striking another object on the road (including curbs, mailboxes, parked vehicles, and other hazards).
- Reckless left turns: When a driver makes a left-hand turn and fails to see a cyclist, a serious injury accident can occur. Often, motorists do not see the bike rider on the road until it is too late to prevent a collision
If you are injured by any of these (or any other) accidents on the road while riding your bike, you may be able to hold the driver accountable for their reckless or negligent actions that caused you harm.
What can an attorney do for cyclists who are hurt in an accident?
If you are hurt in a bike accident, the driver’s insurance company may owe you full replacement costs for your bike and the clothing you were wearing at the time of an accident.
If you suffered serious injuries as a result of the driver’s negligent or careless actions, you might also be eligible for compensation for:
- Hospital bills
- Therapy costs
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Wages from time off work
- Loss of future earnings
- Lasting disabilities
- Counseling and social services
The experienced bike accident lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. understand the devastation that a serious bicycle accident can have on your life. We have helped countless others across Iowa who have been hurt in a collision while riding their bike, and we are ready to help you with your claim.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.