Des Moines Car Accident Lawyers
Taking on Negligent Drivers and Insurance Companies
Thousands of people in Iowa are injured or killed in car accidents every year. Whether the cause of the collision was due to a driver’s mistake or just plain negligence, the result will most likely be the same. The most minor car accidents may result in extensive injuries, including broken bones, neck and back injuries, brain trauma, or even death.
Being involved in a car accident can completely alter the course of your life. If you or someone close to you has been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to rely on the legal system to obtain the money you need to pay for the costs of your injury. When another party’s irresponsible behavior causes a car accident that injures you, you could be entitled to financial compensation.
LaMarca Law Group, P.C. has been focusing on getting compensation for those injured by reckless or negligent parties for over 25 years. We’ve been awarded the Iowa Association for Justice’s 2006 and 2018 Public Service Award, and our car accident law firm has been recognized in Best Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms” from 2010-2021.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our dedicated car accident lawyers have the experience required to take on your case. Our client advocacy has earned us a great deal of awards and recognition. Best Lawyers named Attorney George LaMarca the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in the category of Des Moines Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs. The publication Best Law Firms has recognized our practice for multiple years as a top organization for personal injury cases.
On This Page
- Vehicle Crashes in Iowa
- Do I Need a Lawyer?
Driving a motor vehicle is not a right, it is considered a privilege. Drivers have a legal responsibility to drive safely and in accordance with traffic laws, as well as respect other vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians. If a car accident occurs due to negligence, driving under the influence of a controlled substance, or because the operator was driving in a reckless manner, the responsible party can be held liable in a civil court for injuries, losses, and expenses that you have sustained.
Car accidents are a leading cause of injuries in the U.S. The metropolitan area around Des Moines tallies a startling number of accidents each and every day. The Iowa Department of Transportation keeps careful track of accidents in order to identify problems and come up with helpful solutions.
Accident trends depend on the time of year. The weather seems to bear a significant impact on when car accidents can happen. Although winter is the most common season for traffic accidents, the severity of the injuries is lower than during other times of the year. The reason is that most drivers operate their vehicles with more caution due to weather conditions, including ice, sleet, and snow. Drivers tend to be more careful and drive with more caution, which reduces the amount of property damage and injuries.
By contrast, drivers are busy traveling and tend to be more relaxed in the summer months, so some drivers often do not pay close attention and are less aware of their surroundings. These drivers also increase the speed at which they are driving the vehicle, which can result in severe injuries and extensive property damage when a collision happens.
Driving is something that many people take for granted simply because they have done it for a long time, and before they were driving, they rode countless miles as a passenger. The reality is that roughly 1 in 4 drivers is involved in an auto accident within the span of 5 years. Unfortunately, complacency on the roadway does not only increase the likelihood that you will be caught in a crash, but it also may leave you ill-prepared to handle the situation in the aftermath of an accident.
Because your body is likely to be flooded with a surge of adrenaline during and immediately after an auto accident, you may be unable to fully process your circumstances and surroundings, causing you to make irrational judgments or to take actions that compromise your position and legal rights with regard to the accident.
To prevent this from happening, there are 5 things that you should bear in mind before the situation presents itself:
- Assess injuries and property damage
- File an official auto accident report
- Carefully document relevant details
- Contact your insurance agent
- Only speak about accident with responding police
Being unequipped to respond to a car wreck can leave you in the cold and cost you the insurance benefits and other financial compensation to which you may be entitled. We recommend that you consult an experienced attorney for all of your accident-related questions. Contact an Iowa car accident lawyer at our injury firm today to get your questions answered.
Iowa is one of the many states that has a rule about identifying which driver is at fault in order to claim damages for insurance. To file a successful claim, a driver must establish that the other driver was at fault for their car accident and injuries. The standard is to use a modified comparative fault system. The person who is seeking compensation must demonstrate that the other party was more at fault in order to obtain a certain percentage of compensation and damages.
Damages are reduced by the appropriate percentage of fault. For example, if a person is 25% at fault for a car accident, they would only receive 75% in compensation for their bills and property damage.
The answer depends largely on the nature of the crash, the costs of your injuries, and the extent of the property damage caused by the accident. A skilled car accident lawyer can help you secure compensation to cover costs related to injuries and property damage.
You may be awarded damages that will help you pay for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost work wages
- The loss of earning potential
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical therapy
Car crashes can be the source of a wide range of expenses for victims, beyond those directly associated with an injury. You may also have to handle car repairs and address other types of property damage. Many people look to insurance companies to cover these costs. Unfortunately, these for-profit companies are primarily concerned with their own bottom line and have been known to deny, delay, or unfairly reduce the claims of deserving clients. Hiring a lawyer can help you make sure that you are not treated unjustly as you deal with insurance agents and companies after the accident.
If a loved one has been killed in a traffic accident, we can help assist you with filing a wrongful death claim. In car accident cases involving wrongful death, you may be eligible for compensation and damages associated with funeral costs, loss of income, and the financial and emotional loss of your loved one.
Individuals coping with the aftermath of an accident can feel overwhelmed and hiring a lawyer can seem like just another source of stress. However, obtaining legal counsel from a skilled car accident lawyer can greatly alleviate many sources of anxiety. An experienced legal team can take on a great many burdens that confront the victims of motor vehicle crashes. For example, a lawyer can help you navigate the nuanced, complex world of insurance claims.
Insurance companies are driven to prioritize their profits over their clients’ needs. Even if you have a clear-cut case, your claim could be denied or reduced for any number of reasons. Having a lawyer represent you means that it’s much more difficult for an insurance company to act unjustly. You can rest assured knowing that your rights are protected and that your best interests are being looked after.
A lawyer can also help you secure any financial compensation you are due if a negligent person or group caused your injury. Under personal injury law, victims of preventable accidents can seek damages from the responsible party. A knowledgeable, tough Iowa car accident lawyer could help you pursue a personal injury case against that driver.
Our skilled legal team understands that a variety of issues can come up in the aftermath of an automotive accident. Victims struggle with insurance companies to make sure they get the money they need for car repairs. They might also have expensive medical problems to address. Our award-winning firm is a one-stop shop for all your legal needs. We have attorneys to help you stand firm against insurance companies and pursue financial compensation from any parties responsible for the accident.
Our lawyers have earned an impressive number of recognitions and honors. The Iowa Association of Justice, the National Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Foundation, and Super Lawyers are just a few of the organizations that have recognized the excellence of our practice and our individual attorneys. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our Iowa car accident lawyers don’t just consider ourselves legal professionals—we are advocates for victims who need assistance.
Car crashes happen in a matter of seconds, but their effects can change your life forever. After the horrors of the accident itself, you might find yourself overwhelmed with problems. Injuries caused by vehicular collisions or crashes can be extremely painful and disruptive. Sometimes, they require you to make huge, unexpected lifestyle changes. Expensive medical bills can pile up when you seek the treatments you need. On top of everything else, you might have to miss out on work wages or use up your vacation days during your recovery. It’s not unusual for car accident victims to feel anxious and stressed—even hopeless.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our experienced car accident lawyers in Des Moines understand these concerns. We want to fight to get you the financial compensation you deserve so that you can move forward with your life. Our legal team excels in the search for our clients’ deserved compensation, no matter if we’re taking on a massive insurance company or an individual.
LaMarca Law Group, P.C. understands the enormous impact that an auto accident has on a victim’s life, and our attorneys are here to help.
Contact our offices to learn more about any of the following:
- Free Auto Accident Investigation
- What to Do After an Auto Accident
- Legal Notice Required Before Alcohol Related Suit
Every single car accident is unique and requires a customized legal approach. The strategy used for investigating a potential vehicle defect might not work when it comes to building a case against a drunk driver.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we pride ourselves on the depth of our knowledge for a wide range of fields. We are able to take on car accident cases involving:
- Pedestrian accidents: City designers and vehicle drivers alike have a responsibility to pedestrians. An attorney can help fight someone who hurt you.
- Bicycle accidents: Bicycles offer little protection in the event of an accident, and an increasing number of cyclists means that more people will need assistance following a bicycle accident.
- Drunk driving accidents: For years, society has campaigned against drunk drivers, but the number of people who break this law remains high. They are liable for injuries they cause.
- Distracted driving/texting accidents: Distracted drivers, especially those texting on cellphones, are causing many accidents. An attorney can ensure that they are held accountable for the injuries they cause.
- Rollover accidents: Rollover accidents occur for many unforeseen reasons, and they are particularly dangerous and life-threatening. An attorney can help determine who is at fault.
- Auto defects: We generally trust that auto manufacturers put out safe vehicles, but when manufacturing or design defects lead to injuries and lost lives, the company should be held responsible.
- Speeding accidents: Despite the prominent display of speed limits for the safety of all drivers, many continue to dismiss this one rule, leading to accidents that are extremely preventable.
- Reckless driving accidents: People who are looking to do anything to shave a few minutes off their commute can be very dangerous and should be held accountable when they cause accidents.
- Road defects: Municipalities have a duty to their citizens to ensure that the roads are safe to drive on. If a road defect led to your accident, the city could be held responsible.
- Insurance claims: You’ve paid into your policy for years and expect that they’ll be there when the time comes. Unfortunately, insurance companies mostly look to line their own pockets and often have to be forced into giving you the compensation you deserve.
- Hit-and-run accidents: If you’re hit by another driver and they flee the scene, it can be a challenge to recover any compensation. We’ll help you track down the other driver and establish liability. If we can’t find them, we can help you file a claim with your own insurance company.
- Rear-end collisions: Even at low speeds, rear-end collisions can cause serious injuries like whiplash and broken bones. Our firm will put together the strongest possible case if you’re hit from behind by another driver.
- Single-vehicle accidents: A driver in a single-vehicle accident may be quick to blame themselves, but oftentimes, other parties are responsible, such as a reckless driver who caused you to swerve or a government entity who failed to keep roads free from defects.
- Multi-vehicle accidents: There are numerous scenarios that could lead to a multi-vehicle accident, but the fact is that these types of accidents often lead to severe injuries and damages. Our attorneys will work to determine fault and hold the responsible party accountable.
Car accidents can occur due to a number of causes, and they can result in many different sorts of legal challenges. A skilled attorney can fight for your rights and safeguard your future by carefully attending to your particular situation and your specific needs.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.