Cedar Rapids Car Accident Attorneys
LaMarca Law Group, P.C. is known throughout Cedar Rapids as a trustworthy law firm for all matters related to motor vehicle accidents. If you were in a serious car accident that left you injured, then come to our firm right away. You can call (515) 705-0233 and speak with our attorneys about what happened. The sooner we can get a car accident claim moving, the better chances it will have of succeeding because the evidence of liability will be freshest.
On This Page
- Causes of Car Accidents
- Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Why Do People Hire Car Accident Lawyers?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Hit by a negligent driver in Cedar Rapids? Fill out an intake formnow to schedule a free consultation.
What was the other driver doing to cause your car accident? It is a simple question, but the answer might be complicated. The situation only gets more complex if the other driver wants to deny that they did anything wrong, which they most likely will do. They know that admitting fault will cost them in higher insurance premiums, so it might be their instinct to lie and say that you caused the crash.
Our law firm can assist you with any type of car accident claim, though. We know how to approach each unique situation, find usable evidence of negligence, and take your case to the next level.
Common causes of car accidents in Iowa include:
- Distracted driving: Most drivers have a smartphone on them at all times, which means most drivers can be easily distracted while driving. Other than texting behind the wheel, eating, talking with passengers, and adjusting a music player are common forms of driver distractions.
- Drunk driving: Consuming a single alcoholic beverage causes a driver to become unsafe behind the wheel. Please let us know if the other driver admitted to having “just one drink” to you.
- Speeding: Driving faster than the speed limit is never safe. Speed limits are calculated carefully to make that particular stretch of road safe given typical traffic conditions. There are many forms of reckless driving, but speeding is likely the most common.
- Inclement weather: Poor weather in Iowa is not unusual. It can also be the indirect cause of a wreck. If a driver hits you and blames the rain, wind, or snow, then know that they are still accountable for hitting you. Mother Nature cannot be a named defendant.
- Vehicle defects: Sometimes, we have to file a claim against an automaker. This happens if our client’s accident was caused by a defective auto part that caused them to suddenly lose control and crash, like a defective brake or accelerator.
How you acted immediately after your car accident is more important than you might realize. There are certain steps to take after a wreck that can greatly benefit your future claim.
Let our team know if you took these steps after the car accident:
- Called 911: Emergency responders should be notified of every car accident that causes a serious injury or vehicle damage. If you called 911, then we can potentially use the reports from the police, firefighters, and paramedics to look for evidence of negligence on behalf of the other driver.
- Exchanged information: You should have gotten contact and insurance information from the other driver who hit you. Give us the information you gathered. We can determine the best way to start a claim against their insurance policy or policies.
- Took pictures: Please provide our team with access to any photographs you took of the scene while awaiting assistance. Pictures of the vehicles, injuries, nearby traffic, and weather conditions can all be incredibly helpful.
- Talked to eyewitnesses: Did you get a chance to talk to eyewitnesses about what they saw? If you did, pass their contact information to our Cedar Rapids car accident lawyers. We can interview them and determine if their statements would help your case.
- Went to the doctor: Lastly, you should see a medical professional within 24 hours or less if you get into a crash, even if you feel fine. If you did not, then do that now. If you did, then let us know, and we can talk to your medical provider about your injuries to help calculate the damages owed to you.
There are many, many reasons why people hire car accident attorneys. But one of the main reasons is also one of the least surprising: to deal with insurance companies.
No one wants to fuss with an auto insurance company after getting into a crash. Yet insurers seem to want to fuss with everyone they can. The other driver’s insurance company is not there to make your life easier. It is there to shut your case down. Do not let them bother or intimidate you. Hire us and we will deal with them entirely while also advancing your case.
Give Our Law Firm a Call Today
LaMarca Law Group, P.C. is standing by to help you after a car accident. You can call (515) 705-0233 whenever you need us because we know that accidents never happen at a convenient time. If for whatever reason we cannot answer the phone immediately, then we will get back to you as soon as we can. Our firm is known for responsiveness and communicativeness from day one.
Request your FREE case consultationtoday.
Does Iowa use at-fault insurance rules?
Yes, Iowa uses at-fault car insurance rules, which means that you can hold the other driver liable for your damages by filing a third-party claim against their auto insurance policy. The more liable they are for your damages, then the more compensation you stand to recover.
Should you tell your insurance company right away?
Yes, you should notify your insurance company about your car accident the same day that it happened. If you wait too long to tell your insurer, then it might believe that you are fabricating the case. Once you tell your insurance company about your crash, make your next call the one to our law firm for help.
What should you not do after a car accident?
After a car accident, you should never leave the location until all contact and insurance information has been exchanged with all parties. If the police arrive at the scene, then you should check with the lead officer if you can depart. You should also never say that you are sorry or otherwise apologize. Auto insurance companies like to take apologies and distort them into admissions of guilt.