Des Moines Long-Term Disability Appeals Attorney
Appealing a Denied Long-Term Disability Claim in Iowa
Injuries in the workplace have the potential to be devastating, possibly preventing an employee from returning to work for several months or even longer. When you need long-term disability benefits after an accident that has left you unable to earn a livable wage, the approval of your claim is critical. Unfortunately, many individuals have their initial claims denied due to poor filing and a multitude of other errors.
The Des Moines long-term disability appeals lawyers at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. understand that filing for disability is a stressful and complex process. When your claim is denied, you need a knowledgeable attorney on your side to fight for your right to compensation during the appeals process. With over 100 years of combined experience, our team is ready to guide you through this process and work to recover the benefits you are owed as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Why Are Long-Term Disability Claims Denied?
There are many reasons long-term disability claims are denied. The Social Security Administration (SSA) grants long-term disability only when applicants have met certain specific criteria. If you fail to adequately prove that you meet these criteria, your claim could be denied. Additionally, mistakes on your application or during the claims filing process could jeopardize your claim.
Some of the most common reasons the SSA denies long-term disability claims include:
- Your injuries do not meet specific requirements to be considered “disabling”
- You have an injury or condition that is specifically excluded
- You have a pre-existing condition
- The insurance company does not have all the necessary medical records
- The medical records the insurance company has do not adequately document your injuries
- The insurance company’s doctors do not agree with your physician’s assessment
- You do not have “hard evidence” (e.g., diagnostic test reports, MRIs, etc.) of your disability
- The insurance company alleges that you have been carrying out activities that your disability would prevent you from doing
These are just some of the many reasons long-term disability claims are denied. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our attorneys are well-versed in the many common and less-common reasons for long-term disability claim denials. And, importantly, they know how to fight back against these denials.
The appeals process is important, but it is also very complex. It is critical that you have an experienced legal team on your side. We encourage you to reach out to our firm right away if you need help appealing your denied long-term disability claim, as there are certain deadlines you must follow. In Iowa, you have 60 days from the date you received notice of your claim denial to file any type of appeal.
Steps in the Appeals Process
The appeals process can take a substantial amount of time and know-how to successfully maneuver the various steps involved. Below, we’ve provided a brief, high-level overview of the long-term disability appeals process in Iowa; these four phases of appealing a denied claim can be explained to you more fully by a member of our legal team during a free, no-obligation consultation.
In Iowa, the steps to appeal a denied long-term disability claim include:
- Reconsideration: The first step after receiving notice of your claim denial is requesting a reconsideration. During reconsideration, your claim is reassessed and a decision is made to either uphold the initial denial or grant benefits.
- Hearing: If your request for reconsideration is denied, the next step is requesting a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ). During the hearing, the ALJ will evaluate evidence from both sides and decide whether to grant benefits or uphold the claim denial.
- Council: If the ALJ does not grant benefits, your claim may be sent to an Appeals Council. The Appeals Council will determine whether there were any procedural issues and will either uphold the ALJ’s decision or overturn it.
- Court: The final step in the appeals process is requesting a federal court hearing. This can be done if you do not agree with the Appeals Council’s decision. The federal court hearing will proceed much like any other trial.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our dedicated Des Moines long-term disability appeals lawyers are prepared to help you through all of the steps during your long-term disability benefits appeal. Regardless of the reason your claim was denied, our attorneys are equipped to work with you to appeal your claim and fight to ensure that you receive the benefits you need.
For Help with Your Claim, Contact Our Firm Today
Collecting disability for your health condition can make the difference between living a comfortable, happy life and constantly struggling to make ends meet. Our Des Moines long-term disability attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. are confident that they can help you find the financial relief you need during this difficult time.
If your long-term disability was denied and you need help appealing this decision, reach out to us today. Our team of experienced workers’ compensation attorneys can answer your questions and provide more information specific to your situation. We are available 24/7 to take your call and assist you.