Des Moines Reckless Driving Accident Lawyers
Negligent Drivers May Be Responsible for Your Damages
Reckless driving is defined as any action on the road that willfully disregards the standards of safe driving. Reckless drivers know that they are violating the rules of the road, yet they choose to do so anyway.
Iowa Statute Section 321.277 states that “any person who drives any vehicle in such manner as to indicate either a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.” In Iowa, reckless driving is considered a misdemeanor crime.
Accidents that result from reckless driving are often serious and may involve severe and life-threatening injuries. Extensive property damage and injury to individuals are common when a driver chooses to behave in a reckless manner.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we hold reckless drivers accountable for their actions and the injuries they cause. Our Des Moines reckless driving accident attorneys are experienced in protecting the rights of victims involved in collisions caused by reckless driving.
We want to help you gain compensation for the pain and suffering you have sustained due to a reckless driver.
Call us now at (515) 705-0233 to discuss your case with one of our experienced reckless driving accident attorneys in Des Moines.
What Should I Do If I Have Been Involved in a Reckless Driving Accident?
If you are a victim of reckless driving, you should immediately call 911. Do not speak to any of the other parties involved in the accident until the police arrive. If you are able, take photographs of the accident scene and the property damage. Give your statement regarding how the accident happened to the police and make sure they record your statement correctly.
If you are injured, ask to be taken to the nearest emergency room. It is important that you are seen right away to determine the nature and extent of your injuries. Also, it is important to create a paper trail regarding the injuries you sustained in the accident so that they cannot be challenged by the insurance company at a later date.
You should report the accident to your insurance company as soon as you are able. Be sure to tell them exactly how the accident occurred and all of the injuries you sustained in the accident.
Finally, you should contact a local Des Moines reckless driving accident attorney as soon as possible to learn more about your claim against the reckless driver.
Common Injuries Caused by Reckless Driving
Due to the dangerous nature of reckless driving, victims are susceptible to very serious injuries.
These injuries may include:
- Herniated discs in the neck and back
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Broken ribs
- Internal injuries
- Knee trauma
- Shoulder injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Burns and scars
If you are injured by a reckless driver in Des Moines, you should contact us as soon as possible to understand your legal rights.
What Damages Am I Entitled to as a Victim of a Reckless Driving Accident?
People who are victims of reckless driving accidents are entitled to compensation in Des Moines. There are different types of remedies that you may be entitled to.
Victims of reckless driving are entitled to a monetary award for pain and suffering for any injury caused by reckless driving. The amount a victim recovers will depend on the nature and extent of the injury.
If you are a victim of reckless driving in Des Moines, you may also be entitled to economic damages. This would include monetary damages for lost income caused by the accident. You may also be entitled to be reimbursed for your medical bills and for the cost of any necessary future medical care.
You should speak to an experienced and knowledgeable attorney at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. to discuss your legal remedies if you have been a victim of injury caused by a reckless driver.
Contact an Attorney
Drivers that do not obey traffic laws put other drivers on the road at risk. Our Des Moines reckless driving accident lawyers want to help keep you and your family safe by holding reckless drivers responsible for the dangers they present.
Reckless driving generally involves more than general negligence while operating a vehicle. The intent to deliberately behave in a dangerous or unsafe manner must be present for a reckless driving charge.
The most common types of reckless driving include:
- Driving 25 mph over the speed limit: Speeding is the most common type of reckless driving. Driving 55 mph in a 25-mph zone may be considered reckless driving. Making turns at high speeds, driving too fast for the weather conditions, or speeding in a school zone are other examples of reckless driving.
- Racing with another vehicle: Racing another vehicle on public roads is another example of reckless driving. People may race for various reasons. They may engage in planned racing or the racing may be a spontaneous response to something like road rage. Regardless of the reason, racing is extremely dangerous and poses high risks to all others on the road.
- Passing vehicles with poor visibility: Drivers who can’t see clearly or far enough ahead to pass another vehicle safely are being reckless. Even if these drivers are in a passing zone, if they’re not able to tell if they have enough room to pass the vehicle in front of them without meeting oncoming traffic (risking a head-on collision or cutting back in front of the vehicle they passed, causing a rear-end collision), then they are being reckless when they attempt to pass another vehicle.
- Tailgating: Following too closely behind another vehicle can cause a serious accident. A tailgating vehicle will not have enough time to stop in case the car in front of them has to make a sudden stop.
- Weaving through traffic: Speeding vehicles that weave in and out of traffic are common examples of reckless driving. If you see these vehicles on the road, you should get away from them as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Ignoring stop signs and traffic lights: Stop signs and traffic lights are there for a reason, and it is reckless to ignore them for obvious reasons. This everyday example of reckless driving causes hundreds of accidents a day.
- Attempting to flee police pursuit: Although uncommon, police pursuit of a fleeing vehicle can cause serious injuries to bystanders, pedestrians, and bicyclists, as well as occupants of other vehicles.
The Des Moines reckless driving accident attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. understand that the aftermath of a car accident can leave victims with expensive medical bills and other financial strains. After an accident caused by a reckless driver, you should work with an attorney who understands what you are going through and who is committed to getting you the compensation you deserve.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.