Cedar Rapids Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Although any motor vehicle accident can result in catastrophic or even fatal injuries, motorcycle collisions tend to be especially devastating. Motorcycles lack the basic protective features of most standard automobiles, meaning motorcycle operators and passengers are at a higher risk of severe bodily injury and death. Unfortunately, injured motorcyclists also face significant challenges when it comes to recovering compensation after an accident.
If you were injured or if someone you love died in a motorcycle accident in Cedar Rapids or any of the surrounding areas, contact LaMarca Law Group, P.C. right away for a free consultation. You have the right to seek fair financial compensation for your damages, but your time—and ability—to file a claim may be limited. The sooner you act, the better.
Our firm aggressively advocates for the rights of injured motorcyclists and their families. Our Cedar Rapids motorcycle accident attorneys bring more than 100 years of combined experience to their practice of personal injury law, as well as a long, proven record of success. We understand the unique issues involved in these types of accident claims and are prepared to protect your right to a fair recovery.
Call (515) 705-0233 to request a free initial consultation.
Proving Motorcycle Injury Claims in Iowa
After an accident, injured riders and passengers must file claims against the at-fault party’s insurance company or sue the liable driver for damages to be compensated for their losses.
To pursue a motorcycle accident claim, you must be able to prove the following:
- You were injured and/or suffered damages (including losses associated with the wrongful death of a loved one)
- Another person or party, known as the “defendant,” breached the implied duty of care motorists and others owe to fellow drivers and passengers on the road
- The defendant’s negligent, reckless, careless, or wrongful conduct was the cause of your injuries and resulting damages
Under the state’s modified comparative fault rule, you may recover compensation for an accident in which you were partially at fault. However, the total amount you can recover, either as a settlement or verdict, will be reduced by your degree of fault, unless the negligent party 51% or more at fault. For example, if you are found to have been 25% to blame for the crash that caused your injuries, your total recovery would be reduced by 25%. This means you would only be able to recover up to 75% of the total amount of your damages.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Although many people—including insurance adjusters, judges, and juries—believe motorcycle operators to be dangerous, risk-taking drivers, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents occur as a result of someone else’s negligence.
This negligence takes many forms, including but not limited to:
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving/falling asleep at the wheel
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Tailgating/following too closely
- Failing to check for motorcyclists in vehicles’ blind spots
- Opening car doors into motorcyclists
- Making dangerous turns and other unsafe driving maneuvers
- Merging into or directly in front of motorcyclists
- Passing motorcyclists and other vehicles illegally
- Failing to obey traffic control devices, such as red lights and stop signs
- Failing to properly maintain roadways
- Designing or constructing defective or dangerous roadways
- Manufacturing defective vehicles/vehicle parts
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we know that most motorcyclists are highly skilled, cautious drivers. Our attorneys work tirelessly to uncover all available evidence and develop personalized legal strategies that clearly demonstrate the other party’s negligence.
Damages in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Because motorcyclists are virtually unprotected, they are at a high risk of sustaining catastrophic injuries when they are involved in accidents with other vehicles and objects along the roadway. Common motorcycle accident injuries include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, broken bones, road rash, soft tissue injuries, internal bleeding, and loss of limb. The cost of treating these types of injuries is immense, with victims facing weeks, months, or even years of medical care and rehabilitation, time off work, and other hardships.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we help our clients seek maximum compensation for their losses, including but not limited to:
- Emergency transportation and care
- Hospital and ambulance fees
- Surgeries and other treatments
- Medications and medical equipment
- Physical therapy
- Future medical care costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
- Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Lost income, wages, and employment benefits
- Loss of earning ability
- Loss of future expected earnings
- Diminished quality of life
When an individual dies due to a motorcycle accident, our firm assists surviving family members in seeking wrongful death damages, such as funeral/burial expenses, the value of services and support provided by the deceased, and loss of love, companionship, comfort, guidance, and counsel.
Why You Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle accident claims are not like standard car accident cases. Because these cases tend to be high in overall value, insurance companies will often do everything they can to dispute or deny them.
When you work with a Cedar Rapids motorcycle accident attorney from LaMarca Law Group, P.C., you have a powerful legal ally by your side. Our attorneys are well-versed in state laws and we are highly experienced in going up against major insurance providers. We are aggressive advocates for our clients, known for making insurance companies pay every last cent they owe to the injured.
Contact Us Now for a Free Consultation
There is no risk and no obligation to talk to a member of our team about your legal rights and options. If you or a loved one was involved in a recent motorcycle accident in Cedar Rapids or any of the surrounding areas, reach out to LaMarca Law Group, P.C. to learn how we can help.
To make an appointment or to discuss your potential case with one of our motorcycle accident attorneys in Cedar Rapids, call (515) 705-0233 or submit your information via our secure online case evaluation form.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.