Cedar Rapids Truck Accident Attorneys
Commercial Vehicle Accidents in Iowa
Every year, thousands of people in Iowa are involved in car accidents with large semi-trucks, delivery trucks, and other commercial vehicles. Sadly, these are some of the most devastating of all motor vehicle accidents. Victims of large truck accidents tend to experience catastrophic injuries, resulting in permanent disability and lifelong limitations. More tragic still, many truck accident victims die as a result of these collisions.
If you or someone you love was involved in an accident with a large truck or commercial vehicle, LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help. Our truck accident attorneys have over 100 years of experience practicing personal injury law and have successfully recovered sizeable settlements and verdicts on behalf of the severely injured. We are aggressive when it comes to representing our clients’ rights, and we always fight for the maximum compensation they are owed.
Give us a call at (515) 705-0233 or fill out an online contact form to request a free, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team.
Common Causes of Large Truck Accidents
Just like other motor vehicle accidents, large truck and commercial vehicle accidents often occur as a result of negligence. In some cases, it is the truck driver who negligently causes a collision; in others, the negligent practices of the trucking company, maintenance provider, manufacturer, or another party is to blame.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Truck driver error and negligence: Truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel, which can lead to fatigue, distraction, and other dangerous behaviors. They may make critical mistakes or violate traffic laws, which can lead to serious accidents. Common examples of truck driver error and negligence include falling asleep at the wheel, driving while distracted, and driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Hours-of-service violations: The number of hours truckers can drive, as well as when they must take breaks and for how long, is regulated by state and federal law. Known as hours-of-service regulations, these rules are designed to prevent fatigued driving, which can lead to fatal accidents. When truck drivers violate hours-of-service regulations, whether due to pressure from trucking companies or other reasons, the consequences can be devastating.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Heavy materials, goods, and supplies must be properly loaded onto trucks to avoid shifting cargo and other issues that could lead to accidents. Furthermore, trucks may not exceed certain weight limits set by state and municipal laws. Overloaded or improperly loaded trucks can—and do—lead to loss of control and collisions.
- Poor truck maintenance: Large commercial trucks must be properly maintained to ensure they are running properly and do not pose a risk to others on the road. Whether the truck driver failed to report an issue after conducting a routine maintenance inspection, or a separate entity failed to conduct truck maintenance altogether, the responsible party could be held liable if improper truck maintenance causes an accident.
- Negligent trucking company practices: Some trucking companies pressure drivers to meet strict quotas and deadlines; others fail to conduct background checks, provide adequate training or supervision, or properly discipline drivers who violate company policies. When trucking companies are negligent, they can be liable for resulting accidents, injuries, and deaths related to their improper practices.
- Roadway and truck defects: Sometimes, large truck accidents are caused or exacerbated by defective or dangerous roadway design, poor road maintenance, or unsafe construction. In other instances, truck defects—such as faulty braking systems or tires—can contribute to or cause an accident. When this is the case, the liable construction company, engineer, maintenance provider, manufacturer, or distributor may be responsible for damages.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we carefully evaluate and investigate truck accident claims to determine how the accident occurred and who was at fault. Our Cedar Rapids truck accident attorneys can work alongside accident reconstructionists and other industry experts to obtain powerful evidence and develop persuasive cases for our clients.
Put a Powerful Legal Team in Your Corner
One of the best things you can do to protect your rights and your recovery after a truck accident is to contact a law firm that has a history of success handling truck accident claims. LaMarca Law Group, P.C. fights for injured accident victims and the families of those wrongfully killed in Iowa. We are known for our aggressive and assertive approach to litigation, as well as for making insurance companies pay out the full value of our clients’ claims.
When you need a legal team you can count on, one that will fight for you and the maximum compensation you are owed, turn to LaMarca Law Group, P.C. Our Cedar Rapids truck accident attorneys offer free initial consultations to help you get started.
Injured in an accident with a large commercial truck? Contact us online or call the firm at (515) 705-0233 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation today.
We have dedicated our lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured Iowans. We work to ensure that your case is handled while you focus on your recovery.