While George LaMarca is wearing a new hat called “Of Counsel,” it is what is under that hat that makes his new role so valuable to LaMarca Law Group. While no longer spending time in the courtroom, George LaMarca’s experience as one of Iowa’s most successful trial attorneys is always available to the other LaMarca Law Group trial attorneys. As Of Counsel, he is available to consult on cases, assist with investigations and deposition preparation, and strategize on the discovery and trial preparation phases of certain cases.
For over 45 years, George A. LaMarca’s practice specialized in the litigation of personal injury, business, and professional malpractice actions. He has handled some of Iowa’s most notable personal injury cases and most complex business litigation cases. He is board-certified in Civil Trials and Civil Pretrial Practice by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is also board certified in Medical Malpractice Litigation by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. He is a Fellow of the American College of Board Certified Attorneys.
Reflective of the expansive variety of cases Mr. LaMarca has tried, since 2009 he has continually been included in U.S. News & World Report’s “The Best Lawyers of America” in both Personal Injury and Commercial/Business Litigation. He was named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year” in the Des Moines metro area. He was peer-selected for inclusion by Best Lawyers® in both “Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Attorneys in Iowa.” He has consistently been selected as one of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by The National Trial Lawyers and “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by The American Trial Lawyers Association.
Based on years of exceptional advocacy, ethical standards, and legal achievements, Mr. LaMarca was selected for the Lifetime Achievement award by AMERICA’S TOP 100 ATTORNEYSTM. This recognition is limited to 100 Iowa attorneys. With extremely high standards for selection, this honor is not based on a single verdict or accomplishment, but rather on a lifetime of achievements that are inspiring among the legal profession.
Mr. LaMarca holds the rank of Advocate with the American Board of Trial Advocates. In 2006, he was elected President of the Iowa Chapter of ABOTA and served four years as a national board member.
Mr. LaMarca is a highly respected legal author. He has written and lectured extensively on the investigation and trial strategies of civil cases, and the use of demonstrative evidence, models, tests, and experiments in the courtroom. In addition to being the principal author of Iowa Pleading, Causes of Action and Defenses, he has authored two Law Review articles and over 30 invited articles in peer-reviewed legal, medical, and scientific journals. He has received two Bancroft Whitney awards for notable contributions to legal literature.
Mr. LaMarca has been an invited contributor to a number of treatises and books. These include, but are not limited to, providing chapters or major writings which form a part of the two-volume treatise Forensic Sciences edited by Cyril H. Wecht; Witness Preparation by V. Hale Star; the five-volume Modern Trials series by Melvin Belli; and two chapters in The Trial Masters published by Prentice-Hall, Inc. and edited by Bertram G. Warshaw.
Mr. LaMarca has been an invited lecturer on over 150 occasions at professional, legal, medical, and scientific organizations both in Iowa and nationally.
Mr. LaMarca was a very active member of the Iowa Trial Lawyers Association n/k/a Iowa Association for Justice for over 25 years. He was President in 1995-1996 and served on its Board of Governors from 1979-1983 and 1987-1991. In 1989, he was selected as Outstanding Member of the Year.
Mr. LaMarca received his B.A. in Political Science from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois. He was invited to a Graduate Readings Honors Program at Oxford University, England. He received a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Drake University School of Law. He has been admitted to practice and has handled litigation cases in the state courts of both Iowa and Florida, all U.S. District Courts in Iowa, the U.S. District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, the District of Nebraska, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth and Eleventh Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Get in Touch:
Legal Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified-Medical Malpractice, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Charter Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys
- AV Rating (the highest possible), Martindale-Hubbell
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell
- Iowa, Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit; 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa – JD
- Oxford University, England – Honors Program, Graduate Readings
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois – B.A.
- Major: Political Science
- Minors: English, Psychology
- Lifetime Achievement Award by America’s Top 100 AttorneysTM
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year” in the Des Moines Metro area
- Best Lawyers in America 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Editions – Personal Injury Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America 2014 and 2015 Editions – Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers® “Best Attorneys in Iowa” 2013, 2014 and 2015
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers – 2011 to present
- American Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Trial Lawyers” – 2007 to present
- American Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Iowa Trial Lawyers – 2008 to present
- Super Lawyer designation in Business Litigation – Super Lawyers – 2009 and 2013
- Great Plains Super Lawyer – 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Public Justice Award – Iowa Trial Lawyers Association
- Lawdragon, Inc. – Personal Injury
- Bancroft-Whitney Company Award for Notable Contribution to Legal Literature in Recognition of 27 Am. Jur. Proof of Facts 2d, 471, 1981
- Featured as a Prominent Trial Master in the Anthology, The Trial Masters, Bertram & Warshaw, Editor, Prentice Hall, 1984
- Member of the Year Award (Iowa Trial Lawyers Association), 1989
- Who’s Who in American Law (7th Ed.)
- Who’s Who in American Law (8th Ed.)
- Who’s Who in the Midwest (24th Ed.)
- Oxford’s Who’s Who, The Elite Registry of Extraordinary Professionals
- Lifetime Member, National Registry of Who’s Who in America, National Registry No. 129904