Many people are beginning to realize the pleasure and convenience of commuting by bicycle. Good physical exercise, lower gas bills, environmental awareness, fewer parking hassles, fewer traffic jams, and shorter overall commute times are all reasons that more and more people are choosing to ride their bikes rather than drive their cars to get from place to place.
However, many cities are not adequately designed to handle bikers on the road, and many drivers are not used to navigating their cars while bicycles are present. Biking can be dangerous if either motorists or cyclists do not follow driving laws. If you or someone you love has been injured in a biking accident due to a reckless driver, the Iowa bicycle accident lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at (515) 705-0233.
Bike Safety Tips
Follow these tips to help keep yourself safe from hazardous drivers and accidents.
- Wear a helmet: Head injuries make up more than 60 percent of bike-related fatalities. Cyclists without a helmet are14 times more likely to have an accident that results in death than helmeted riders.
- Use bike lights: Bicyclists are difficult for motorists to see at night. Invest in a good set of bright bike lights and turn them on at night and in low-light situations.
- Obey traffic laws: Cyclists are obligated to follow traffic laws just as motorists are. Be sure to stop at stop signs and to use proper hand signals to alert drivers when you are making a turn. Respect motorists just as you would have them respect your right to ride safely on the road.
- Keep your bike maintained: Just like a car, a bike needs occasional maintenance to keep it in good working order. Qualified mechanics at bicycle repair shops can evaluate your brakes, tires, and chain, and can determine if your bike is safe to ride on the road
- Use back roads and bike lanes: In most cities, it is illegal to ride any vehicle on a pedestrian sidewalk, even a bicycle. However, sometimes riding on the road can be daunting. To stay safe, plan your ride ahead of time and try to ride mainly on smaller roads and side streets. Some cities have designated bike lanes on busy roads.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we care about the well-being of cyclists and their families and their right to safety on the road. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bike accident, don’t hesitate to contact the Iowa bike accident lawyers at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. Call us today at (515) 705-0233.