West Des Moines Car Accident Attorneys
Let Us Deal with Auto Insurance Companies
If you are like most people, one of the last things you want to do after being in a car accident is deal with the other driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, if you want to get compensation from the other driver for the harm that they caused you and your family, then you will need to deal with their insurer eventually. That is unless you let LaMarca Law Group, P.C. and our West Des Moines car accident lawyers handle the claim on your behalf. We can take your case to court against the auto insurance company if we must, too, just as we have done so many times for past clients.
On This Page
- Driver Negligence That Causes Accidents
- What to do After a Car Accident
- Damages & Auto Insurance Coverage
See how our legal team can assist with your car accident claim. Call (515) 705-0233 at any time.
Driver Negligence That Causes Accidents
At the root of most car accidents is negligence or everyday human error. A driver who has just a momentarily lapse of judgment can cause a lifetime of pain and grief for others on the road. When working on your case, we will do all that we can to identify what the other driver did wrong and how that makes them liable for your damages.
Common mistakes and acts of negligence that cause car accidents are:
- Intoxication: Many drivers mistakenly think that they can drive safely after having one or two alcoholic beverages. In reality, one drink is all it takes to dramatically worsen a driver’s reaction times, focus, ability to drive in a straight line, and so on.
- Distractions: Simple distractions like a text message on a smartphone or a conversation with a passenger can be extremely dangerous while driving. Many safety groups warn that distracted drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers, if not more.
- Speeding: When a driver breaks the speed limit, they give themselves much less time to react to emergencies and come to a complete stop. Even speeding “just” 10 mph is dangerous and must not be done.
- Tailgating: Following a driver too closely is called tailgating. This common driver behavior is a leading cause of preventable rear-end accidents.
Auto part defects are another common cause of car accidents in Iowa. The auto part manufacturer or the automaker who sold the car with the part could be liable for crashes caused by defects that should have been corrected by these companies before a crash could happen.
Do This After a Car Accident
After being in a car accident, you should always:
- Get emergency help: If someone is injured or a vehicle is significantly damaged, then you should call 911. Emergency responders can provide important first aid and control the traffic flow around the crash. The reports filed by police officers, firefighters, and EMTs can be used by our attorneys later as evidence, too.
- Trade information: You need to know the identifying and insurance information of each other driver. If the driver who hit you was completing a job-related duty at the time, then you should know their employer’s information, too.
- Take pictures: Getting concrete evidence of the scene is crucial. Use your smartphone to take photographs of injuries, damage, traffic conditions, and so forth. The more pictures, the better, so do not feel shy when snapping away.
- Talk to witnesses: The best story of what happened might come from another driver or pedestrian who saw the whole thing from a different perspective. Pass any eyewitness contact information to us in case we need to conduct another interview.
- Go to the doctor: Even if you feel unharmed after a car accident, take yourself to urgent care immediately. Let a doctor diagnose your injuries if there are any. They will also update your medical records to show when and why the injuries happened.
Damages & Auto Insurance Coverage
The extent of what you can recover from a car accident claim will be influenced by the auto insurance policies you can file against. Every policy has a limit for certain types of damages, which usually acts as a hard cap on what you can collect. It is our job as your West Des Moines car accident lawyers to make sure you get a fair and maximized amount of compensation for your injuries and losses.
A successful injury claim can recover these damages and more:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced income-earning ability
- Pain and suffering
- Lowered enjoyment of life
- Lost mobility and independence
The damages related to repairing or replacing your vehicle will be handled in a separate property damage claim. Usually, property damage claims face less resistance than bodily injury claims due to their lower values.
Making Your Case the Best It Can Be
For white-glove legal service after a car accident in West Des Moines, come to LaMarca Law Group right away. We make it simple for our clients to pursue full compensation and justice after a crash without adding any stress to their lives. Leave everything up to us today.
FREE consultations are available. Call (515) 705-0233.