Statistics show that construction is one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States. In 2008 there were 969 fatal accidents that occurred on construction sites, more than in any other industry. It is difficult to overstate the importance of effective safety training and functioning safety equipment in this kind of workplace.
Unfortunately, for many injured construction workers, recovery is not the only challenge. Receiving adequate workers’ compensation to cover medical expenses and lost income can be a struggle. If you or a member of your family is having difficulty gaining fair treatment from the workers’ compensation system, LaMarca Law Group, P.C. are here to help. Call Your Iowa Lawyers at (515) 705-0233.
Maintaining a Safe Workplace
Employers and employees share the responsibility of keeping workplace accidents to a minimum. On a construction site, workers should be sure to:
- Utilize hardhats and other safety equipment
- Regularly inspect and maintain machinery, tools, and electrical devices
- Keep the grounds clear of debris that could cause slip-and-fall accidents
- Report potentially dangerous conditions as soon as they are noticed
For their part, employers in the construction industry must:
- Provide sufficient training in daily safety and emergency response
- Provide fully functional, up-to-date safety equipment
- Have a plan in place for dealing with medical emergencies
- Take reasonable steps to ensure only qualified workers are hired
- Ensure that the workplace, tools, and assigned jobs meet legal safety requirements
Unfortunately, workers and employers do not always complete all of these necessary steps. If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction site accident, our Iowa construction site injury lawyers can help you receive the workers’ compensation benefits you need.
Receiving compensation after a workplace injury should not be difficult, but sadly it often is. For aggressive legal assistance in your struggle for fair benefits, contact Iowa workers’ compensation lawyers LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 705-0233.