Millions of children around the US take the bus to and from school. Even if your child does not follow this routine, the odds are high that he or she will ride a school bus on a field trip or other event at some point. Every child needs to know the basics of remaining safe while waiting for, riding, and exiting a bus.
Unfortunately, we cannot always rely on children to follow each safety rule. That is why they need well-designed and safe vehicles, as well as adequate supervision from adults with first aid training. If your child has suffered a school bus injury caused by defective products or poor supervision, your Iowa child injury lawyers at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help. Call our offices at (515) 705-0233.
Tips for Kids
Before your child boards a bus for the first time, he or she should be aware of these basic safety tips:
- Wait patiently for the bus at the bus stop. Playing in the street is very dangerous.
- When the bus arrives, step back to let the doors open before you step on.
- Avoid loose clothing, untied shoes, long scarves or drawstrings, etc. These can cause you to trip or can catch indoors, on nails, etc.
- When the bus is in motion, stay in your seat and talk quietly to the people around you. Loud noises can distract the driver and cause an accident.
- When you get off the bus, do not cross in front of it until the bus driver gives you a signal that you can go. Always keep a close eye out for traffic.
Keeping safety in mind can greatly reduce your child’s chances of injury. Of course, preventing school bus accidents is not only the responsibility of children. Our Iowa child injury attorneys strive to hold negligent adults fully responsible for the harm they cause or allow to take place.
No child should ever suffer from a caregiver’s negligent actions. To learn about legal justice for child accident victims and their families, contact the Iowa school bus accident lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 705-0233.