Placing an elderly or disabled loved one into long-term care is never an easy decision. Many people have heard stories about badly run or even abusive nursing homes on the news, and want to make absolutely sure their family member will be cared for by competent professionals. Unfortunately, checking a place out before hiring its services is not always enough to ensure it is truly the best place for your loved one.
Researchers have identified certain signs that can point to nursing home abuse or neglect. If you have noticed any of them while visiting a loved one, you need to take action soon. The police or Adult Protective Services can conduct the necessary investigation to keep your loved one safe. If negligence has occurred, a Des Moines nursing home malpractice attorney can advise you on the next step to take.
Elderly abuse can involve physical violence, emotional mistreatment, or financial exploitation. Des Moines nursing home negligence lawyers LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help you decide what to do if an elderly person you know is exhibiting signs of mistreatment. For example, some warning signs of physical abuse or neglect include:
- Bruises, cuts or other injuries that caretakers cannot/will not explain
- Poor personal hygiene
- Unhealthy weight loss
- Unreasonable fear of caretakers
- Caretakers will not let you see your loved one, or speak with him or her alone
Red flags of emotional abuse or exploitation can include:
- Expression of fear or contempt towards caretakers
- Sudden social withdrawal
- Unexplained financial activity, such as bank withdrawals or changes to wills
- Signs of depression (loss of enjoyment of hobbies, crying spells, etc)
- Rude comments directed towards the elderly person
This kind of treatment is unacceptable and needs to be reported to authorities right away. Even if it turns out that no abuse is going on, an investigation will not hurt anyone and can put your mind at ease.
If you have evidence that a loved one is being neglected or abused by caretakers, the Des Moines nursing home malpractice attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help. Contact us today at (515) 705-0233.